Monday, August 07, 2006

Vacation Day #4 - Race Day!!


Miller Lite
Originally uploaded by stuffle.
I didn't blog at all yesterday, because it was race day, so this entry is a day late.

Race day basically means waking up at 4:00 am, leaving the hotel at 5:00 am, sitting in the parking lot of the track, quietly talking to other early birds, from 6:00 am until the track opens at 7:00 am. I say "quietly talking" because a fair number of people will show up at midnight and sleep in the beds of their trucks, or on the ground, or in their cars, whatever. No sense waking them.

Gates open at 7:00 am, and we head in to the infield. Our first stop is at the America Supports You booth to buy some dog tags. After that, we walk around the infield, see the sights, etc. At 10:00 am the pre-race concert starts. It is three country bands that I have never heard of, two of which must have songs on country radio, as Lisa knew the songs.

At 1:00 pm, we leave the concert and slowly walk back to where our seats are in turn one. The race starts around 2:45 pm, and after that, time just flies. Before you know it, it is 6:30 pm, and we are back in the parking lot. reading the paper, talking, and laughing at the people who actually think they need to be somewhere. Why people leave an event like that and think that traffic will be anything but total gridlock, I don't know. Y'all ought to just relax, have a drink or two, and read the paper or something and hang out an hour or two before leaving... That's what we do.

Around 9:00 pm, we get back to the hotel for a dip in the pool, and a little relaxation, which is where the pyramid of Miller Lite cans finally comes in to play.

This was our fourth year, and we will certainly have tickets next year for a fifth year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to hear the bad stuff, you know how much I hate motorsports now!!

stuffle said...

There was no bad stuff to be found, at least not in my area of the track. There were roughly 250,000 people there, so chances are someone misbehaved somewhere, but neither me nor Lisa were anywhere near anyone who was seriously drunk and obnoxious, only mildly drunk and obnoxious, but then again, I have to be around myself daily, so I am used to it... :)

Anonymous said...

I saw boobies on your MySpace page, what the hell are you doing there?

stuffle said...

Trolling for chicks...

OK, not really.

My daughter hangs out there a lot. Same with three of my cousins and one of my cousin's wives. Thus, it is a great way to communicate. Plus, it is a lot of fun.

Plus, it is a great way to at least somewhat keep an eye on what is going on with my daughter, since we will disucss stuff in person that is posted on there.

I will never understand some parents who bitch about things like MySpace and think it is some evil thing without actually going out there and seeing what their kids are actually up to... On the flip side of that, I also don't understand the parents who don't bother to understand things like MySpace, and don't bother even minimally monitoring what their kids are doing, and just basically let them do whatever they want without any boundries or guidence.