Thursday, August 03, 2006

Annual Indy Vacation - Day 1

Lisa and I are on our annual vacation to Indianapolis for the Brickyard 400. As usual, we are staying in Crawfordsville, IN, which is a nice small town about 45 miles west of Indianapolis. Notable sights to see in Crawfordsville include a museum for the only operable rotating jail remaining in the US, and the General Lew Wallace Study and Museum.

Today was a travel day, so other than driving, checking in to the hotel, and going out for dinner, we haven't really done much. We'll post more later. Until then, here is a video I took last year. This is the start of the big race from our seats in turn one. Nothing can really match the excitement of 43 cars loudly screaming past you at close to 200 MPH...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't help but say hi! My name is Gene and I'm a paramedic in Indianapolis. I follow racing and was searching the exact following terms on AOL search, and your blog site popped up as #1 choice!: "cristiano da matta deer head care". I was trying to get an update on his condition since I especially follow IRL and Champ Car and so I read your entire blog page. Turns out, I might have even bumped into you today, because I work on the track ambulance at every racing event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Today, I am in Ambulance 4. The track ambulances here, as well as the wreckers and fire trucks, are numbered from therir turn location. So I'm in turn 4 right this moment while Kyle Busch is qualifying. We have trucks in 1, 2, and 3 also. (That's NASCAR's choice.) For the race, we'll add trucks in 1A and 3A (which only means past the turn number, or in these cases in the middle of the South and North short chutes.) In IRL, 1A and 3A are primary spots for practice, we add 2A for qualifying and add 1B, 3, and 3B for the 500. Okay, probably too much info, but anyway, I thought it was coincidental we are both here right now when I accidentally found your site by searching for an injury update on an open wheel driver! -Gene (normally Ambulance 3A for all IRL or Turn 7 Ambulance for the Formula 1 US Grand Prix.)