Monday, January 09, 2006

Reaching Out Properly...

There are a few quotes in the linked article that I take issue with. However, for the most part, I think they are on the right track.

'Shake it out for Jesus': Churches co-opt hip-hop:
Often known for its misogynistic lyrics and glorification of violence, rap music is moving in a spiritual direction.

There are really two topic threads in the linked article. Can hip-hop work in the church to reach a younger generation? And, can hip-hop with positive lyrics actually sell?

On the first question, I think the answer is a resounding yes. The churches mentioned are reaching out in the right way. Our church, like many, has failed in this regard. Sure, we have added a "contemporary" service to attempt to reach out. However, this service is really just the same thing as our regular service with a PowerPoint presentation and crappy "adult contemporary" music replacing the organ. It may reach out to some 40 year olds who are sick of "traditional" services, but I fail to see how it reaches any of the teens to early 20's crowd.

Now, can positive hip-hop sell? I believe there is a market out there for it. The problem is getting the lug heads in the industry to actually play the stuff on the radio. Radio play is still the way that you get a lot of people to open their ears to a certain sound or a certain message. Radio somewhat reacts to trends, but it also somewhat creates the trends. I am no expert on how you go about getting that done, but I think there is a market out there to take advantage of it if someone could figure out how to get some air play for more positive messages.

Proof? I will just look to music I know more about. Modern Rock. Bands like Evenescence, POD, and Flyleaf all have a positive, or even Christian message, and all have found a market and are doing well in an arena that often deals solely with angst and depression.

9 comments:

bennett said...

Hey, I'm writing to thank you for posting on my Brewer's Blog. I've been writing that for the past five months, updating every game score, and, to my knowledge, you are the first person to read it. I hope you continue to!

stuffle said...

Thanks for the visit. I like your Brewer's blog and will have to link back to it when I get a chance.

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

01 09 06

Hey Stuffle: What an interesting topic! Since I grew up in the Black Church, when rap emerged in the mainstream, it didn't take long until the youth choir had some rap to the gospel beats. An interesting fusion occured and has been around for a while. So of course, I don't think rap is incompatible with the message of Christianity. Some early rap had very positive lyrics too, I think rap has many dimensions and certainly not all of it is about bi$#s and hos. Excellent read Stuffle:)

stuffle said...

Thanks Mahndisa.

Music can be a great tool for reaching out.

richmanwisco said...

It's all about the bottom line. If a record company can sell it at a profit, they will produce it. It doesn't matter what the content is. Exploitation is a word that comes to mind.

Rell said...

Oh man i've been listening to Christian rap since i was 13. A lot of people don't know it but there is a HUGE underground following of it.

A few names to consider are Grits, T-Bone, Gospel Gangstas, The Cross Movement and the Ambassador.

But of course it can work, positive rap has a huge following and some of the positive rappers have crossed over and done some work with the christian rappers.

As far as positive rap start with Common, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Mos Def, KRS-One (though he is into secular humanism) and yes, even Kanye West.

James Manning said...

I second Rell's post. There is a lot of positive rap flowing around but the mainstream will not play it unless 50 Cent produces it. I've listened to some Christian rap and it's pretty good - but like any genre of music, some of it is pretty bad. I'm not feeling the Gospel Gangsta's. The name alone irks me.

stuffle said...

Thx Rell. That confirms my belief that there is a market out there. Also, thanks for the list of artists. I will have to check some of them out. I'm not really into rap. I have a grand total of one rap disk in my collection (Ice-T - O.G.), but I do like to check out stuff outside my normal genres from time to time.

James - got to agree with you on that name being pretty lame...

Dionne said...

I agree with Mahndisa. Music can be a powerful medium and Christian Rap is going to reach out to a different group of people. I say go for it.