Wednesday, June 20, 2007

First National Bank of Wal-Mart

I don't really have much to say about Wal-Mart providing banking services.  This will just be yet another service that Wal-Mart offers that will benefit consumers, especially those who don't make enough money to deal efficiently with normal banks (trust me, I remember how that goes, and something like what Wal-Mart wants to do would have been perfect for me at that point in my life).  And, yet again, Wal-Mart doing this will raise the ire of all those who hate it when American companies are successful (you know, those that make a hobby out of hating Wal-Mart/McDonald's/Starbucks/etc).

What I find more interesting are the seemingly disparate people who oppose Wal-Mart on this:
Nevertheless, opposition to its plans, which required the approval of federal regulators, swelled. During closely watched hearings outside Washington, dozens of groups, like Independent Community Bankers Association and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, testified for and against the Wal-Mart bank.
OK, I understand the opposition of the Independent Community Bankers Association.  After all, they are just trying to protect their place in the market.  If Wal-Mart enters their market, after all, they will be under a lot of pressure to increase their services while reducing their costs to the consumer.  However, I don't see what Wal-Mart getting into banking has to do with missing and exploited children...

Update: It is also interesting to note that the NYTimes has changed the linked article such that the paragraph I quoted no longer mentions the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which makes me wonder if that wasn't just an error in the original article (though no correction is mentioned).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, anyway Wal-Mart's entering the banking market will definitely make the bankers nervous. Wal-Mart is a strong business rival.

stuffle said...

Yup. Wal-Mart does such a good job in pretty much every market they enter that if they entered my market, I would be scared too...