Monday, September 25, 2006

Falwell Finally Said Something I Can Agree With...

Falwell is pretty much an idiot who says a lot of really, really stupid things, and does almost as much harm to the "Christian" name as does Fred Phelps. However, you have to admit that saying Hillary Clinton would be a worse choice than Satan is pretty funny.

I find it interesting that Democrats can feel free to demonize Republicans in any way they see fit, even going as far as completely destroying the fine careers of people like Karl Rove over what turns out to be absolutely nothing with nary an apology or retraction of any kind. Yet when a conservative makes a joke at a conference, well then "it seems that a new low has been reached in demonizing political opponents" to quote Lucifer's, ah, er, I mean Hillary's, press secretary. On that I call "bullshit". It was a joke. A joke by a fat idiot who constantly says amazing stupid and un-Christ-like things in the name of Christ, but a joke none the less, and a rather humorous one at that.

4 comments:

Dionne said...

I'm no fan of Falwell but saying he's almost as bad as Phelps is a huge stretch. I consider Phelps to be one of the most evil men on the planet.

And yes I would have to agree that Hillary would be a worse choice than Satan ;-)))!!

stuffle said...

I wasn't really saying that Falwell is as bad as Phelps, just that he does almost as much damage as him. Here is my thinking:

Phelps is obviously way more evil than your average person. Most people look at Phelps and see him for what he is, a nut case.

OTOH, People look at Falwell and have a lot more of a tendency to think that he speaks for the evangelical right. We can claim he doesn't speak for us all we like, but to many people, the face of right wing Christians is Mr. Falwell and Pat Robertson.

When someone like Falwell or Robertson says something stupid, and especially when they say it in Chirst's name (as they often do), I think it does more damage than the absolute hate that Phelps spews, since no one with a functioning brain actually takes Phelps seriously.

Still, it is sad that Falwell gets so much crap just for making a joke, and a fairly funny one at that...

Dionne said...

You make some good points. I have always considered Dobson to be a far better spokesman for the Christian right than Falwell or Robertson. I'm really not a fan of Robertson and Falwell has irritated me at times but I do think Liberty is a good school for what I know about it.

Anonymous said...

Again, I agree with LMC. I can't stand Robertson and Falwell is barely tolerabe. I'm a big fan of Dobson and really should get my backside down to the springs to tour FOTF HQ's.