Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Not At All Biased, Yeah, Right...

Bias in the news sources can usually be most clearly seen in what a news source chooses to print, and which aspects of the news they choose to deem news worthy. The exact same story from two different sources. First from Aljazeera.

London preacher jailed for terrorism
A British Muslim preacher has been jailed for seven years after being found guilty of 11 terrorism charges, including soliciting murder and threatening behaviour.

Then from the BBC (this one being the most neutral I could find)

Abu Hamza jailed for seven years
Controversial Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri has been jailed for seven years after he was found guilty of inciting murder and race hate.

Just based on the headlines, the Aljazeera article makes it sound like the British authorities are running around arresting innocent Muslim preachers. Both articles point to Hamza's terrorist links. However, where the BBC article give this a fair shake, the Aljazeera article seems to attempt to downplay them as much as possible. The tone of the article almost makes it sound like the guy is being persecuted under overly draconian laws designed to limit free thought and speech. Of course, we all now how much the Muslims value free speech.

At least, it seems, a fair number of British Muslims know what this guy is all about.

2 comments:

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

02 08 06

Good post Stuffle. That is something that makes me not even watch the evening news anymore. I go to lots of news sites, but the bias is oh so wretched! And about the DaVinci code; I never read it. The storyline seemed interesting to me, but I never read it or saw the movie. I guess it wasn't that important to me. I just heard the fuss and figured I would wait until it came out on dvd:) tee hee hee Have a good week Stuffle:)

stuffle said...

I just don't watch the evening news because it is generally fluf and 15 minutes of weather gadgets...

As for DaVinci, I would wait for the movie. The way the book read, it would make a good movie. It just isn't a very stimulating read...