Monday, October 10, 2005

Your Own Personal Jesus

Eugene posted a stereotypical cartoon aimed at conservative Christians. Eugene says the cartoon "speaks depth." In reality, almost all stereotypes are based in fact but show a rather myopic, oversimplified understanding the target group. In this case, the target group is conservative Christians.

Let's look at just a few of the oversimplifications involved with this cartoon:

  • Most conservative Christians believe we are saved through Christ, not condemned to hell through Christ. Jesus calls us to forgive, not to condemn. While we certainly disagree with those who support abortion, we also pray for them. We don't pray for God to reserve a special place in hell for the pro-lifers. Rather, using the words of Jesus on the cross as our example, we pray for them to be forgiven, and for them to see the light and change their ways. Basically, we condemn the sin, but pray for the sinner. After all, as fallen creatures, we are all wretched sinners.

  • Conservative Christians champion more than just one cause. You cannot get much more "conservative" than Breakpoint. However, a quick look at the issues and research page shows that conservative Christians are interested in far more issues than just abortion.

  • Not all conservatives are Christian. Thus, for many Republicans, there is no Jesus, let alone one who is condemning rather than saving.

  • Not all conservatives consider abortion the most important issue in the world. I even know of some who are pro-choice.

  • Not all Christians who are against abortion are conservative. Thus, the so-called "Republican Jesus" could just as easily be applied to these non-Republicans, if it wasn't for the first bullet point above.



So, while the cartoon that Eugene showed may be funny, and it may highlight the failings of some conservative Christians, it is certainly does not "speak depth" about conservative Christians. Rather, it "speaks depth" of the shallow, myopic view that some people choose to take of conservative Christians.

12 comments:

stuffle said...

I know of some conservatives who are pro-choice and I also know some Christians who are. However, in both cases, they are all for abortion being legal, but do not agree with people who actually get them.

I'm not saying I agree with that point of view, just explaining it. To me, their view is like saying "I think rape should be legal, but I don't agree with those who rape people".

sandy said...

A very good answer for eugene. Even a dumb hillbilly like me understands you.

bob said...

Well done, Stuff.

Anonymous said...

Columbia University; he has a bit of a stalking problem when it comes to me. The guy never closes my page out. Creepy. And . . . Ms. Conservative Christian here who is VERY anti-abortion is in fact pro-choice for reasons that I really don't want to go into. It would really tick off the left and open up a can of worms I don't feel like dealing with at this time. It's a theory of mine; that's all I'll say. Maybe even a conspiracy theory.

stuffle said...

Why do your Universities brainwash the young into being lefties

Hey now, they aren't my Universities... :)


only to learn later on that their beliefs were silly and ridiculous?

Who says they ever actually learn? I know a fair number of otherwise intelligent, educated people who are still moonbats.

Of course, most of the adult moonbats I know are still being brain-washed. Only, it is by their union leaders rather than the nuts in the ivory towers, but that is a whole other subject.

stuffle said...

As a 36 year old with three children, you don't offer me much for my fantasy (even if I try my best).

Ooooh, now we're talking fantasies! Cool!

Grab yourself a partner
Swing ’em around the town
Walk the dog and do-se-do
Before you tie her down

Anesthetize and fantasize
Watch your dreams come true
A riding crop, a lollipop
A tank of nitrous too

Because you’re broken

Bstermyster said...

Great post. That cartoon is ridiculous. I just don't understand why people hate christians so much, although I shouldn't be surpirsed because the bible indicates it is not an easy walk to be a christian. But the Lefts logic is so illogical.

stuffle said...

(Btw, I suppose you are a Ministry fan. Weird.)

Yes, despite Al's odd obsession with hating Bush...

Why is it so weird that I would be a Ministry fan? If you click on my profile, you can see what other music I like. It is a fair variety.

stuffle said...

Look closely at the cartoon. The message is not about the hatred of Christians.

I don't know. Drawing Christ to look like Johnny Damon seems pretty hateful to me... :)

echotig said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
echotig said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bob said...

Well spoken, Ken.