Thursday, October 19, 2006

IE7 Finally Catches Up to Firefox

Microsoft finally released IE7. I installed it at work, and so far I am quite impressed. About the only thing I like better about Firefox as opposed to IE7 is the way Firefox handles "search" in a little toolbar at the bottom rather than popping a dialog. Otherwise, IE7 is prettier, seems a tad faster, handles tabs better, and seems to have leap-frogged Firefox a bit.

The only bad thing about IE7 is that it is a Windows only browser. They gave up on updating their Mac version long ago. Thus, IE7 will only be used at work. At home, I will stick with Firefox and Safari (Firefox is more full featured, Safari is faster and better integrated with MacOS X).

4 comments:

Dionne said...

I just recently started using firefox and have been happy with it.

stuffle said...

I use firefox almost exclusivly at home, but that is only because our only non-Mac machine is a Linux box, so IE7 is not even an option there. Plus, on the Mac boxes, the editors on sites like blogger & gmail allow more features if I use firefox instead of Safari (Apple's native browers that comes with OS X).

My only wish is that more sites supported Safari, or that Safari supported more sites (whichever direction the problem needs to be fixed).

If you are running Windows XP SP2, I would suggest giving IE7 a try, however. I love the way it works, the "Clear Type" fonts make everything so pretty and easy to read, it seems faster than firefox, etc. Thus far, I have only run across two bugs. It crashed once (no suprise there), and on this page, it screws up the alignment of things so that "little mis chatterbox said..." is half over-writting "1 Comment - Show Original Post"...

Stacy said...

I don't know if Mac will ever really have a bigger chunk of the market. I understand why Microsoft didn't bother with another version. I've been looking forward to the new IE, but really am happy with Firefox. Oh, and hi.

stuffle said...

I've been using Firefox on my Macs for quite some time, and upgraded to v2.0 when that came out.

I like v2.0 a lot, and have been meaning to get a write-up out on that, but have not had time.

I like that with v2.0, I have been able to drop some of the extentions that I felt should have been part of Firefox from square one anyhow, especially extentions pertaining to spell checking and the handling of tabs.